Feelin’ Frugal: Washing Disposable Swim Diapers

You Can Wash Swim Diapers???

Earlier in the summer I read an article by Frugal Girls on how to save money on swim diapers.  The article suggested a couple of ways to save money, but one of them really stuck with me.  They suggested washing your used disposable swim diapers and using them again.  Really???  You can wash disposable swim diapers???

Yes!  Yes you can!!

One of my friends had given me a partially full pack of disposable swim diapers that her girl couldn’t fit into anymore. By washing the diapers, I’ve been able to make all summer without having to buy any swim diapers! As a matter of fact, I still have a few that are completely unused!  I think that is pretty impressive since we’ve gone on two beach vacations, Grace loves swimming in her baby pool in the back yard, and I didn’t even start with a full pack of diapers.

After experimenting a little bit, I’ve found that it is best for you to put the diapers in your washing machine inside out. Doing that helps keeping the outside lining of the diaper attached better.  However, the diaper works just fine even if that lining starts to separate from the diaper.  Honestly, I’m not really sure why the liner is there.

Frugal Girls recommended that you let the diapers air dry, which is exactly what I’ve been doing with good results.

On average, I’ve used each diaper about 3-4 times before I decided they looked pathetic enough to toss.   I haven’t washed any disposable swim diapers that were pooped in.  Those went straight into the trash.

Here are some before and after pictures of the swim diapers. The diaper on the left has never been worn.  The one on the right has been washed once. You can see the difference in the lining.  That will get worse each time the diaper is washed.

I hope this tip will help make a package of swim diapers last you all summer long!

Have you ever tried washing disposable swim diapers?  How did it work for your family?

This post contains an affiliate link.  Thank you for supporting Simply Rebekah!

This entry was posted in Frugal, Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Feelin’ Frugal: Washing Disposable Swim Diapers

1. Leah says:

Wow I never would have even thought of it! Thanks for sharing!!!!

2. Shelah says:

I discovered the washability of swim diapers quite by accident with my 1st baby 6yrs ago…..by washing a diaper, of course. We have not even finished that first pack. That will be 3 kiddos on one pack of swim diapers! (I think I even bought them at a discount at the end of the summer.)

3. Suzy says:

I am going to have to try this. Thanks

4. Erica says:

Why not just use cloth swim dipes if you are going to wash them anyway :0)??

5. I would suggest buying one cloth diaper per child for swimming if you don’t have any instead of washing disposables. You can get them for $6.25 each including 2 inserts here : http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/brands/Pure-%26-Natural.html

I remember hearing a story a few years ago about poor women in New York who washed disposables diapers and it caused some major problems for the babies. I think one even died as a result. Diaper rash, infections, etc. I’m sure swim diapers are different and wouldn’t be as dangerous, but there are also websites that show you how to make cloth diapers easily out of t-shirts etc. if money is really that tight.

Just something to think about.
    Devotion Mama recently posted..Scripture Sunday

• Rebekah says:

Holy smokes! Well, I certainly don’t recommend washing regular disposable diapers. However, swim diapers are made out of a completely different absorbent material and re-wash very well. I like the idea of using a cloth diaper, but washing a disposable swim diaper is a great way to stretch out a pack if you already have one on hand.

Thanks for the advice!

6. Pingback: Wash and Reuse Disposable Swim Diapers

7. Pingback: Modern Mrs. Darcy Summer Sundays

8. Becky says:

This makes sense to me. Only because I know from first hand experience that they are not absorbent at. all. See, this one time, we ran out of regular diapers, and I put my daughter in a swim diaper thinking it would be okay just in a pinch. Uhh…NO! Lol! She peed and it leaked everywhere! I think they are only designed to protect the pool and other swimmers from a baby’s bowel movement.

So, just in case you are tempted to try it, don’t ever put them in a swim diaper unless you’re going swimming. Ha. :P
    Becky recently posted..Meditate on These Things

• Rebekah says:

Haha! Thanks for taking one for the team and figuring that out for all of us, Becky. I was recently on vacation and was tempted to let my little one take a nap in his dry swim diaper. I’m glad I went with my gut and changed him into a regular diaper. :)

9. Thanks for the tip! I just bought our first box of disposable swim diapers to use this summer and I’m really hoping to try this out! I shared on my FB page too :)

• Rebekah says:

Thank you for sharing this post on your FB page. I noticed a nice spike in traffic that day. Thanks!

10. Pingback: 3 Ways You Can Save Money Without Changing Your Spending | Money Saving Mom®