How to Make Envelopes Out of Wall Calendars

How to Make Envelopes Out of Wall Calendars | SimplyRebekah.com

It is almost time to throw out that old wall calendar!  But wait…  Why not get creative with them first?  You can make envelopes out of wall calendars in 4 easy steps.

supplies for calendar envelopes

Last year for Valentine’s Day I made envelopes out of free calendars that I didn’t want.  To get started, all you need is a wall calendar, scissors or paper cutter, and tape.

Make it Square

Step 1: Select your calendar page, remove it from the calendar, and trim it down to an approximate square size.

Bring Corners Together & Fold

Step 2: Flip the picture over so the image you want to be the outside of the envelope is against the table.  Grab two corners and fold them so they meet in the middle of the page.

Three Corners Together & Folded

Step 3: Grab a third corner and fold that one so it meets the other two in the middle of your page.  Secure the folded flaps with tape.  Gift wrapping tape would be nice since it doesn’t show up as much as regular tape.  I just used what I had.  After all, it is just an envelope and not a piece of wall art!

How to Make an Envelope Out of Wall Calendars

Step 4: To create the final flap of the envelope, fold the fourth corner down so that it is near the bottom of the envelope and easily overlaps the other flaps.

Once you fill your envelope, seal it with tape or a sticker.  If you plan to mail your envelope, write the address on a small square of plain white paper (not pictured) and tape or glue that to the envelope so it is easier for the Post Office to process your mail.

Envelope Made Out of a Wall Calendar

I also made cards out of calendar images.  Simply cut the calendar page down to the desired size, fold it in half, and line the inside with regular paper to cover up the dates!

This is the time of year when free promotional calendars make their way into your home whether you want them to or not.  Instead of instantly tossing them out, consider giving them a second life!

How to Make Envelopes Out of Wall Calendars | SimplyRebekah.com

Do you have any calendar recycling ideas?

Comments

1. Kathy Rupp says

Thanks for the great idea. I make my own envelopes also but I use scrapbook paper that I paid for. I love the idea of using calendars. I will save my expensive scrapbook paper for scrapbooking and use my calendars for the envelopes. : )

2. says

Great idea! When I first read the post I was disappointed because I threw out our 2010 calendars two weeks ago. Great idea to use the promotional ones! I know we will be getting a couple from our realtor and school district. One of my new years resolutions is to write people actual mail instead of email since it is so fun to get something besides bills in the mail. This will be fun!

3. Jodi says

I use some calendar pictures as wall art for my kids rooms/ whatever room and frame them and I also recycle the month parts for chore charts for my kids too!

4. dawn says

Magazine pages work well too. Food images are really interesting to use as envelopes. Also, if you have blank address labels, those are easy to stick on the front to write the address.

5. Kim Currier says

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! I have already started making some from my last years Lighthouse calendar so that I can send my best friend a card who also loves lighthouses!!!

6. Kim says

What a clever idea! I already have 2 calendars that I don’t want, but I hate to throw them away. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

• says

Kim, I have such a hard time throwing away things that could be used for something else or by someone else. One man’s trash truly is another man’s treasure. Enjoy your envelopes!

7. Kimber says

Cute idea! In college I remember people framing nice calendar pages. It usually didn’t look as great as a regular print, but for a college apartment it was a nice idea!

8. Amanda says

I’m curious as to the price of postage…if this method would require more postage or if the postal service will even accept it.

• says

Amanda, I have sent and received several envelopes like this using the standard amount of postage and I’ve never had a problem. You should definitely use something like white paper & tape or a blank address label to help the address stand out, but other than that there shouldn’t be an issue.

• Amy says

My kids and I make our own envelopes out of whatever paper is in our recycling bin for them to decorate when they send their own homemade thank you cards, and we’ve never paid any more than for a regular envelope. Postage is charged based on the thickness and/or weight of the package, not on the material used.

• shari says

make sure it’s not square when it’s done – they charge more postage for square envelopes – I suspect because they are harder to sort automatically.

9. says

Fun! Thanks for posting this. I’ve already received a few promotional calendars, and I get lots of free magazines, so I’ll have plenty of images to choose from. I can’t wait to send my first card – I already know who will get it!

10. Charlotte says

Great idea!!! Thanks for posting…..I will definitely keep this in mind the next time I have a few promotional calendars!!

11. Tina says

I love this idea, and actually dug a calendar out of the trash that I threw away just last night! I made one and it turned out beautifully, but folks should know that if the envelope is square, or exceeds certain dimensions that it will require extra postage. :)

• says

Tina, I love that you dug in the trash to do this project! haha! And you are right that square envelopes do take extra postage. I always fold my final flap down far enough that it makes it more of a normal envelope shape & then I don’t have to worry about the postage.

• Joyce says

oops, didn’t grab the whole description for first class mail, letters, and cards.

“For heavier weights, or unusually shaped letters see First-Class Mail Large Envelopes.”

Great idea to repurpose and good to recognize weight variables depending on the calendar so the recipient doesn’t owe $$. I’ve received purchases of sewing patterns in envelopes made from wallpaper ~ cheerfully lovely! :-)

12. Shar says

I have done this too….so always save those calendars. There are a lot of things you can do w/those pretty calendar pages including making your own beautiful bows too. I have an old Vera Bradley catalog that might work for post cards too. You will need to use white labels for the front for addresses on darker or really busy pattern pages.

13. Darlene says

OM gosh, I was getting ready to throw out all those old labels from years gone by, that you can’t even size in a computer, to print. Great idea!!! I’ll save them now.

14. Melinda Stewart says

I LOVE this idea. I just made 12 envelopes from last years puppy calendar! I have one I don’t need for this year with food & recipes on it so I’ll use that one too. Thinking of randomly sending friends recipes (like a swap but not asking for anything in return) with those.
    I also wanted to tell you that I’m Environmental Committee Chair at our elementary school so I’m taking these to the club meeting today to share with the students!
    I cut mine 12×12, 11×11 & 10×10. Used an 11″ to mail my brother a 5×7 photo today & it didn’t require extra postage.
    THANKS again for the wonderful ‘green’ idea :)

15. Charisa says

I used some calendar pages of really pretty greenery and gardens to put around some glass candles and other containers for decoration. I also attached them to small containers. They turned out really nice!

16. Elizabeth McBride says

My niece showed me this idea about 15 years ago, using magazine covers, calendars, and any iother paper she could recycle. I did it a lot for awhile. Time to return to doing it.

• says

Elizabeth, isn’t it funny how you can “forget” about awesome crafts or activities that you used to do all the time? I’m glad I was able to re-inspire you!

Trackbacks

1. […] Rebekah shows you how to make envelopes out of old calendar pages. Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the […]

2. […] of Old Calendars Simply Rebekah shows you how to make envelopes out of old calendar pages. How to Make Envelopes Out of Wall Calendars | __________________ "Politeness costs nothing and gains […]

3. […] of my favorite posts: How to use old calendars to make envelopes Posted in Featured […]

4. […] 3. Calendar EnvelopesWith each new year comes a new pile of outdated calendars. The glossy paper and high quality photos keep you from throwing them out, but instead of collecting dust why not share the beautiful images with friends and family? Just a few quick folds and slivers of tape, and you can turn each page into a custom envelope. […]

5. […] 3. Calendar Envelopes With each new year comes a new pile of outdated calendars. The glossy paper and high quality photos keep you from throwing them out, but instead of collecting dust why not share the beautiful images with friends and family? Just a few quick folds and slivers of tape, and you can turn each page into a custom envelope. […]