How to Make a Sprinkler Out of a Pop Bottle {video}

How to Make a Sprinkler Out of a Pop Bottle

It is hot, HOT, HOT! It is perfect weather for running through a sprinkler.

What?  Don’t have one?   Well, I’ve got a solution for you!

I hope you enjoy this video where I show you how to turn an empty 2 liter pop bottle into a sprinkler.

(If you are reading this in your email or RSS reader then you may need to click over to SimplyRebekah.com to view the video posted above.)

What creative things have you done with an old 2 liter soda pop bottle?

Comments

1. Jenny says

I don’t know if this is really useful, but I remember them making a great toy for our cocker spaniel. It was just the right size that she could get her mouth around it, but not pick it up (with the lid on so she couldn’t squish it). She would try to pick it up and it would scoot away from her and she would follow it across the room growling and trying to pick it up.

I’ve also reused them to carry emergency water in the car and cut the top off of them to use as a funnel. Not nearly so creative but still useful.

• says

Great suggestions, Jenny! Thanks for sharing them. I don’t have a funnel, so maybe I’ll make one when we’re finished with our sprinkler.

2. Emily says

Oh Rebekah, you are so cute! I love the stage makeup as well : ) What a great idea. I am sure you are using it today!

3. says

Love it. You are so clever.

And…your videos are awesome! You are so natural in front of the camera and I really like the way you edit the videos – I want to learn how to do that!

• says

Thank you, Stacy! I feel like I should confess…. I studied video production and theater in college. So that natural look you see in front of the camera came with years of training. :) I’ve been using the standard movie editing software that came on my computer, Windows Movie Maker. These edits are pretty simple, but I’d be happy to give you some pointers sometime.

• says

Aw, thanks Miranda! I’m glad you appreciate the humor that I try to slip into my vlogs. If you have any ideas for things for me to vlog about, I would love to hear them! I’ve fallen in love with vlogging, but I don’t have any more ideas of things to share.

• Wenonah says

Only thing that would make your vlogs better is to PLEASE, pretty pretty please caption them??? Many deaf people are visual and enjoy watching videos to see how to make something as written directions just don’t cut it sometimes! Personally I do fine with the written directions but these things are on a video for a reason, because a picture is a thousand words (and what’s a video— a million words?!) USUALLY I get it, but sometimes there are important points or measurements or helpful tips or such that are spoken and I have no clue. Even if you don’t fully subtitle everything, at least, please, at least caption the important points.
        THANKS!!!!!

• says

Wenonah, thank you for bringing this to my attention! I’ve seen people post videos on other blogs where they have a written summery of the video underneath in the blog post. Is that helpful?

• Wenonah says

YES!! It is!! It probably won’t capture the “flavor” of your humor if you don’t subtitle every word you say, but really, just putting the tips and info on while the vlog is showing is enough – I’d rather you spent your time making good videos and putting summaries on than taking the time to go back and fully subtitle every word and end up doing less that way.
            I know other people (not deaf) have appreciated when people put info like tips, measurements, etc on their videos because they can’t (or don’t) catch everything due to noise or volume or whatever, so others will appreciate and benefit as well, especially those who have no option of turning up the sound & hearing better!

• says

That brings back memories of me making a wave bottle in school. We used blue water and vegetable oil. Then when you rocked the bottle back and forth on it’s side you could see a wave.

• says

Oh, that’s a good idea!! We’ve been doing some water/density experiments around here lately and we haven’t done that! Thanks for sharing!

4. claire says

I loved your idea for this sprinkler! If ours ever breaks or gets lost than I have a back up plan! You are a beautiful young lady with a wonderful talent. I am adding your site to my favoriets for sure! Do you post on FB?

5. Jennifer says

Hi there, I came here through Money Saving Mom. This is such a fantastic idea!!! Great video, you are just too cute!

6. says

That is awesome! Not sure that we have any pop bottles around since we don’t drink soda so I might have to go buy some root beer to make floats so we can dance around in the sprinkler afterwards… aaaahhhh that sounds nice ;-)

• says

Pam, we don’t drink pop either so…. I actually got this empty bottle from my neighbor. How is that for being cheap! haha! Shhh! Don’t tell. :)

7. Jessi says

We used to make bird feeders out of the pop bottles. they used to sell a thing that’d screw on and catch the seed. not sure if they still do that.
    i get teased a lot when visiting my family in virginia – i once said ‘just put the pop in a sack’ at the grocery store and got the weirdest look. my mother hasn’t let me forget it! funniest thing about that is that i’ve only lived in the midwest for 5 years, yet i lived in virginia/north carolina for 23!

• says

Jessi, it is hard to take the “pop” out of a Midwest girl!! :)

I like your idea about turning pop bottles into bird feeders. I’ll have to look into that. Thanks!

8. jessica says

your video is TOO CUTE!! love it :) I saw your post on FB, but i have to confess, i actually followed the link over from MSM… i don’t have a hose or a yard for that matter…and it hasn’t even been very hot out this month (come to think of it) but IF I ever get all of the above…i will try it for sure! ;) …i do have great memories of running through the sprinkler when i was a kid (looks like you haven’t lost your playful side :)

9. says

You just made my night :) I am so glad I stopped over to see your video…I actually found it on Pinterest :) So hope its ok, I will probably throw this one in next week as well as the freezer cooking ones Love it!!

10. Terri says

How cute are you. I just found your blog and will be back. This video is so funny, when the neighbor comes out! LOL I do that all the time. I need to break down and get a wood fence….’greener’ yet, more bushes!! I also stepped on and broke our sprinkler but I have 2 liter bottles and duck tape. You make great vlogs! Keep it up!
    Terri recently posted..Walmart: $3 24-Piece Light-Up Halloween Tombstone Set

• says

Thank, Terri! You are so sweet! I really have fun making vlogs, but haven’t done one since this video. I need to put it at the top of my to-do list again!

11. Jenna says

I couldn’t get the video to work, said it was currently unavailable. :( I’m gonna try to figure this out on my own tomorrow I guess.

12. says

Hi there. What a nice idea. I have rain barrels in my yard that I use to water my plants– and I use those soda bottle screw on thing-ies that poke into the ground to water at the roots. Last week while I was refilling my soda bottles from the rain barrel I discovered that the threads on a soda bottle screw perfectly into a female hose endpiece. You can find little adapters that screw onto a hose to make it female instead of male at hardware stores. They arent very expensive. (Probably less than a roll of duct tape) They even have an on/off on them. If you had one you could screw it to your hose and then just screw the soda bottle to it instead of using duct tape.

Trackbacks

1. […] An instructional video on how to make a homemade pop bottle sprinkler. Looks like fun! -Simply […]