How to Make a Sprinkler Out of a Pop Bottle {video}

How to Make a Sprinkler Out of a Pop Bottle

It is hot, HOT, HOT! It is perfect weather for running through a sprinkler.

What?  Don’t have one?   Well, I’ve got a solution for you!

I hope you enjoy this video where I show you how to turn an empty 2 liter pop bottle into a sprinkler.

(If you are reading this in your email or RSS reader then you may need to click over to SimplyRebekah.com to view the video posted above.)

What creative things have you done with an old 2 liter soda pop bottle?

This entry was posted in Frugal, Green Living. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to How to Make a Sprinkler Out of a Pop Bottle {video}

1. Donna Shenk says:

Brilliant!! and I just love your videos!!! LOVE THEM!

2. Jenny says:

I don’t know if this is really useful, but I remember them making a great toy for our cocker spaniel. It was just the right size that she could get her mouth around it, but not pick it up (with the lid on so she couldn’t squish it). She would try to pick it up and it would scoot away from her and she would follow it across the room growling and trying to pick it up.

I’ve also reused them to carry emergency water in the car and cut the top off of them to use as a funnel. Not nearly so creative but still useful.

• Rebekah says:

Great suggestions, Jenny! Thanks for sharing them. I don’t have a funnel, so maybe I’ll make one when we’re finished with our sprinkler.

3. Emily says:

Oh Rebekah, you are so cute! I love the stage makeup as well : ) What a great idea. I am sure you are using it today!

4. Pingback: Links We Love… | Silly Simple Living

5. Stacy says:

Love it. You are so clever.

And…your videos are awesome! You are so natural in front of the camera and I really like the way you edit the videos – I want to learn how to do that!

• Rebekah says:

Thank you, Stacy! I feel like I should confess…. I studied video production and theater in college. So that natural look you see in front of the camera came with years of training. :) I’ve been using the standard movie editing software that came on my computer, Windows Movie Maker. These edits are pretty simple, but I’d be happy to give you some pointers sometime.

6. Miranda says:

You make the best vlogs! Seriously, I think we would be the best of friends if we lived close by – you have my sense of humor :).

• Rebekah says:

Aw, thanks Miranda! I’m glad you appreciate the humor that I try to slip into my vlogs. If you have any ideas for things for me to vlog about, I would love to hear them! I’ve fallen in love with vlogging, but I don’t have any more ideas of things to share.

• Wenonah says:

Only thing that would make your vlogs better is to PLEASE, pretty pretty please caption them??? Many deaf people are visual and enjoy watching videos to see how to make something as written directions just don’t cut it sometimes! Personally I do fine with the written directions but these things are on a video for a reason, because a picture is a thousand words (and what’s a video— a million words?!) USUALLY I get it, but sometimes there are important points or measurements or helpful tips or such that are spoken and I have no clue. Even if you don’t fully subtitle everything, at least, please, at least caption the important points.
        THANKS!!!!!

• Rebekah says:

Wenonah, thank you for bringing this to my attention! I’ve seen people post videos on other blogs where they have a written summery of the video underneath in the blog post. Is that helpful?

• Wenonah says:

YES!! It is!! It probably won’t capture the “flavor” of your humor if you don’t subtitle every word you say, but really, just putting the tips and info on while the vlog is showing is enough – I’d rather you spent your time making good videos and putting summaries on than taking the time to go back and fully subtitle every word and end up doing less that way.
            I know other people (not deaf) have appreciated when people put info like tips, measurements, etc on their videos because they can’t (or don’t) catch everything due to noise or volume or whatever, so others will appreciate and benefit as well, especially those who have no option of turning up the sound & hearing better!

7. Personally, I’ve always been a fan of making a tornado out of 2 liter bottles. This guy on YouTube explains how pretty well. http://youtu.be/SuQs5Z_WAVE

• Rebekah says:

That brings back memories of me making a wave bottle in school. We used blue water and vegetable oil. Then when you rocked the bottle back and forth on it’s side you could see a wave.

8. Love it! Thanks for the simple tutorial – my boys are going to love it!

9. claire says:

I loved your idea for this sprinkler! If ours ever breaks or gets lost than I have a back up plan! You are a beautiful young lady with a wonderful talent. I am adding your site to my favoriets for sure! Do you post on FB?

10. Jennifer says:

Hi there, I came here through Money Saving Mom. This is such a fantastic idea!!! Great video, you are just too cute!

11. Pam M. says:

That is awesome! Not sure that we have any pop bottles around since we don’t drink soda so I might have to go buy some root beer to make floats so we can dance around in the sprinkler afterwards… aaaahhhh that sounds nice ;-)

• Rebekah says:

Pam, we don’t drink pop either so…. I actually got this empty bottle from my neighbor. How is that for being cheap! haha! Shhh! Don’t tell. :)

12. beingjennifer says:

SO FUN!! You must be from the Midwest, sayin’ “pop” instead of “soda.” Love it.

13. Michelle says:

What a great idea! One of my friends posted it from Money Saving Mom. Following you now via email and Twitter!
    Michelle
    Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

14. Jessi says:

We used to make bird feeders out of the pop bottles. they used to sell a thing that’d screw on and catch the seed. not sure if they still do that.
    i get teased a lot when visiting my family in virginia – i once said ‘just put the pop in a sack’ at the grocery store and got the weirdest look. my mother hasn’t let me forget it! funniest thing about that is that i’ve only lived in the midwest for 5 years, yet i lived in virginia/north carolina for 23!

• Rebekah says:

Jessi, it is hard to take the “pop” out of a Midwest girl!! :)

I like your idea about turning pop bottles into bird feeders. I’ll have to look into that. Thanks!

15. Jaen says:

It is called a soda bottle NOT a pop bottle.

16. jessica says:

your video is TOO CUTE!! love it :) I saw your post on FB, but i have to confess, i actually followed the link over from MSM… i don’t have a hose or a yard for that matter…and it hasn’t even been very hot out this month (come to think of it) but IF I ever get all of the above…i will try it for sure! ;) …i do have great memories of running through the sprinkler when i was a kid (looks like you haven’t lost your playful side :)

17. Pingback: Baby Gizmo Link Lounge | Rated By Mom

18. Janel says:

You just made my night :) I am so glad I stopped over to see your video…I actually found it on Pinterest :) So hope its ok, I will probably throw this one in next week as well as the freezer cooking ones Love it!!

19. Pingback: Good Deal Mama » DIY: Make Your Own Sprinkler!

20. Terri says:

How cute are you. I just found your blog and will be back. This video is so funny, when the neighbor comes out! LOL I do that all the time. I need to break down and get a wood fence….’greener’ yet, more bushes!! I also stepped on and broke our sprinkler but I have 2 liter bottles and duck tape. You make great vlogs! Keep it up!
    Terri recently posted..Walmart: $3 24-Piece Light-Up Halloween Tombstone Set

• Rebekah says:

Thank, Terri! You are so sweet! I really have fun making vlogs, but haven’t done one since this video. I need to put it at the top of my to-do list again!

21. Tabitha Chavez says:

You must be from the Midwest, sayin’ “pop” instead of “soda.” Love it. You are so sweet!
    Tabitha Chavez recently posted..Cancer Tattoos Tumblr

22. Pingback: Hydroponics With Soda Bottles: A Good Way To Get School Children Interested In Hydroponics

23. Jenna says:

I couldn’t get the video to work, said it was currently unavailable. :( I’m gonna try to figure this out on my own tomorrow I guess.

24. Pingback: Summer Fun from A to Z |

25. Pingback: Are You Winning the Garden Design Arms Race? / Bentley Seeds

26. Pingback: Backyard Bucket List (73 Frugal & Creative Backyard Activities for Kids)

27. Dulcie says:

Hi there. What a nice idea. I have rain barrels in my yard that I use to water my plants– and I use those soda bottle screw on thing-ies that poke into the ground to water at the roots. Last week while I was refilling my soda bottles from the rain barrel I discovered that the threads on a soda bottle screw perfectly into a female hose endpiece. You can find little adapters that screw onto a hose to make it female instead of male at hardware stores. They arent very expensive. (Probably less than a roll of duct tape) They even have an on/off on them. If you had one you could screw it to your hose and then just screw the soda bottle to it instead of using duct tape.

28. Pingback: 100+ Ideas for Free and Frugal Summer Fun

29. Pingback: Hot, hot, hot! CASA of CGS has the answer for a fun, cool down! | CASA of Cumberland, Gloucester and Salem Counties

30. Pingback: How to make your backyard the funnest place on earth! | Birchwood Homes Alaska

31. Pingback: 35 Frugal, Fun and Simple Summer Activities for Kids - The Purposeful Mom