I’m excited to be participating in the Go Green & Save Green Series with several other green bloggers this week! We’ll be talking about different areas of green and natural living, showing you how to go green while saving money at the same time! Be sure to check out the great links at the end of this post!
Go ahead. Laugh. Get it out of your system. Yes, I am writing a post on home deocrating. Yes, the girl who hasn’t hung a single picture on the walls of her new home for over a year.
I certainly am not one to tell you how to have a “Martha Stewart Style” home, but I do know a thing or two about saving money on home decor!
4 Ways to Save the Planet & Money When Decorating
1. Simplify - Our apartment had these wonderful built in shelves in the living room. Our new house doesn’t. Plus we don’t have bookshelves of any kind to replace that storage space. Because of that, 90% of the things you see in this picture are still packed away in boxes and we don’t miss the stuff!!! Knick-knacks can clutter your home and make it feel more stressful. Instead of filling your home with stuff, simplify and do with out.
2. Be Content with What You Have - I would love to have a home that is worthy of being in a home decor magazine, but instead I’m choosing to be content with my mix matched furniture so that our money can be spent elsewhere. Our shopping crazy society tells me that using the same dresser I had in middle school is lame. It is lame! But… it is better for the environment, my wallet and my mental health to choose to be content with what I have.
3. Accept Hand-Me-Downs - One man’s trash can be your treasure! Accepting second hand items keeps those things out of landfills and keep more money in your pockets. If you don’t have people around you looking to unload their used items then check out garage sales and second hand shops for great deals.
4. Upcycle - Upcycling is when you take something old and unwanted and turn it into something fabulous! It is a great way to spruce up your home without having to buy newly manufactured products. Recycling at it’s finest.
Confession: I have upcycled a t-shirt into a necklace and a pop bottle into a sprinkler, but I am not a upcycling-for-home-decor professional. The only upcycled decor item in my home is an old desk we turned into a changing table. It isn’t even that impressive, so that’s why I’m turning to the professional on Pinterest to provide some inspiration.
Check out these awesome home decorating upcycling projects I found on Pinterest:
Can you believe that this accent wall is made out of wooden pallets???
This chair turned into a bathroom shelf is so cute.
This fun piece of art is made out of empty toilet paper rolls! Love it!!!
Do you have any frugal & green decorating tips?
Check Out These Other Great Posts in the Go Green & Save Green Series:
- The Greenbacks Gal: Don’t Toss It! Repurpose It!
- Kinda Crunchy Kate: Reusing and Repurposing Food Packaging