Free Cleaning Checklist You Can Customize – 1 Year on 1 Page

A year ago I decided to create a cleaning checklist.  It wasn’t that my house was a disaster.  The problem was that I had no concept of time.  When was the last time I mopped the kitchen?  Surely, it was just 2 weeks ago.  What?  2 months ago???

I created a cleaning checklist that lists all the tasks I needed to accomplish throughout the year all on one sheet.  At a glance, I can easily see how long it has been I last did any of my cleaning tasks.

I don’t follow it 100%.  There have been seasons when I didn’t follow it even 1%!  (Can we all say “first trimester?!”)  I’m still grateful to have it and it will be a wonderful resource after the baby is born.  How can you help?  Well, what would you like to do from this list?   ;-)

My cleaning checklist has 6 sections:

1. Weekly
  2. Every 2 Weeks
  3. Monthly
  4. Every 3 Months
  5. Twice A Year
  6. Annually

How to use my checklist:

• Print the checklist front & back on 1 sheet of paper.
  • Brainstorm the tasks that you want to include in each section & write them in.
  • The weekly & every 2 weeks sections are repeated in order to cover the entire year.  Be sure to repeat the same tasks in both sections (you’ll understand after you see it).
  • Break down your jobs into do-able tasks.  Personally, I like having a separate listing for mopping each room.  Just because I do one of them, doesn’t mean I’ll do them all!  Having things broken down helps me keep better track of my progress and is more motivating when I can cross off lots of things.  Consider doing this for mopping, vacuuming, dusting, changing sheets, etc.
  • After completing a task, mark it off.  I like to write in the date I completed non-weekly tasks to keep me on track.

Here are some of the tasks I have on my list to help you with your brainstorming:

• sweep/vacuum floors
  • clean bathrooms
  • water plants
  • scrub kitchen sink extra good
  • clean kitchen counter tops extra good
  • mop floors
  • dust
  • wipe down kitchen appliances
  • change sheets
  • scrub shower/tub
  • wash changing table pads
  • wash bath/kitchen/door mats
  • clean baseboards
  • clean out fridge really good
  • wipe off window blinds
  • vacuum furniture & lamp shades
  • clean car
  • wash windows
  • change smoke alarms
  • clean oven
  • purge & organize closets
  • wash mattress covers
  • dust walls/radiators for cobwebs
  • clean light fixtures that collect dust/bugs
  • wash all woodwork moldings
  • clean basement
  • clean attic

Click here to download my Master Cleaning Checklist.  I can’t wait to hear how it works for you!

*** This Checklist has been updated for 2014. ***

UPDATE: By request here is my personal cleaning checklist that you can use as a guide.  I am not a cleaning expert or super picky about how clean my house is.  There are probably things on this list that you’ll want to do more often than I do.  This is also personalized for my own home and needs, so some of it might not make sense (like mopping the kitchen steps just once a year – it is a 2nd set of stairway that we never use).  I hope this is helpful!

All subscribers to Simply Rebekah can download a free Birthday Interview Questions for Kid printable!  _______________________________________________________________

Thank you, Nony and Michelle, for generously giving away your fantastic cleaning eBooks this weekend!  If you did not win, both books are still for sale at a great price.   Clean Start: Your Guide to Natural Home Cleaning is only $4.95.  28 Days to Hope for Your Home is only $5.00.

The winners of 28 Days to Hope for Your Home are:

Ruth (RuthCekola@)

Megan (megan.nicole.gardner@)

The winners of Clean Start: Your Guide to Natural Home Cleaning are:

Maria (maria_eads@)

Judy (stutzmanj@)

This post contains affiliate links.  Thank you for supporting Simply Rebekah!

This entry was posted in Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Free Cleaning Checklist You Can Customize – 1 Year on 1 Page

1. Judy says:

Having this printout will truly help me in keeping our house a home!

2. Hi Rebekah– this is great! So funny, because just recently I brainstormed a list of tasks that I wanted to put into a checklist very much like this. I had not gotten around to actually creating the checklist so this is a big help! yay!

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day… how funny that I told you my blog was about “pulling my hair out”! I suppose that is true…though the longer I’m a mom the less things bother me, so I feel like I have more hair these days!

3. .:karen:. says:

Was just wondering when the last time we mopped our floors was.. :/ Thanks for sharing this!

4. jeannie says:

Great resource. Thanks. I have put all my cleaning chores on my Outlook calendar so it rolls over for years! It is proving to make life much easier.
    jeannie recently posted..An Ending for the Beginning

5. Pingback: Free Customizable One-Year Cleaning Checklist | Money Saving Mom®

6. Megan says:

I would love to see what’s on your list! I’m visiting from moneysavingmom so you may have it somewhere else. But I’m not so good at this cleaning thing but we’re about to buy our first house! So I’d like to know what I SHOULD be doing. :). Thanks!!

• Rebekah says:

Megan, I’m not so good at cleaning either! That is the whole reason I made this checklist. :) The things that are on my list are listed above in the post. If you would like to see how often I’ve decided that I should be doing each those thing I can send you my personal checklist in an email.

• Sonya says:

Oooh, could you email that to me too?? I can never figure out how often to to do things!

• Rebekah says:

I asked my mom how often I should be doing things. :) Moms always know best, don’t they?

• Sonya says:

Thanks for the link!

I’ve asked my mom, but she’s one of “those” people, who’s house is always spotless, so her schedule was a bit beyond me. Like clean all the bathrooms, and vacuum the whole house, TWICE A WEEK. Um, ain’t gonna happen. :)

• Mandy W. says:

I would love it, too! (PS – I am also here from MoneySavingMom. Love your website!)

• Rebekah says:

Thanks for visiting, Mandy. I look forward to “seeing you around” here more often!

• Rebekah says:

7. Rebekah says:

Just wanted to say thanks! I needed this I have been trying to come up with something like this. And we spell our names the same way!

8. Pingback: Free Customizable One Year Cleaning Checklist

9. Kathi says:

I’d love to see your personal list too! I guess I feel like other people might have a better idea of how often to do things than me.

• Rebekah says:

I’m definitely not a cleaning expert! You might laugh at how much time I let go between things in my house. haha! I’ve updated this post with a copy of my personal checklist that you can download. I hope it helps!

10. Marisa says:

I’d love to see you personal list! Will you please email it to me?!
    Thanks!

• Rebekah says:

After getting several requests for a look at my checklist, I decided to include it in the post. The post is now updated with a copy of my personal checklist that you can download. I hope it helps!

11. Tracy Polmueller says:

I’d love a copy of your personal list, too!! :)

• Rebekah says:

Tracy, I’ve updated the post. Now you can download a copy of my personal checklist to use as a guide when you fill out your own list. Have fun cleaning! (yeah right!!)

12. Colleen says:

I am with Megan and Kathi. I would love to see your list too. I know I do not clean often enough!

• Rebekah says:

Colleen, I have the checklist, but that doesn’t mean I clean often enough. haha! I’ve updated this post with a copy of my personal checklist that you can download. I hope it helps!

13. jill says:

I would love a copy of your list too.

14. I love this! I have the worst time remembering the big tasks like dusting the fans or the blinds it seems like weeks turn into months and then dust starts falling on me from the ceiling. This is a great help! thanks,
    Jessica Scott @ proverbslady.com recently posted..Free Fragrance Sample of Wonderstruck

15. Kristi Acuff says:

I would also like to see your personal list just to get an idea of some of the things you. Thanks!

16. Neighbor Melissa :) says:

This is pretty great! I printed one out to help me too, I find that if there is no list I forget about it so this is a great reminder of what to do and when. Really like the rest of the site too, you had me laughing at the end of the peel a peach video when the sirens were going. They are always so loud and feels like they are right outside the door lol. I really like the frugal ideas too, I try to be as green as possible.

17. Pingback: Friday Favorites #13 « Okay, Kaye?

18. yolanda says:

this is fantastic! one request…is there a way to get a format of the blank checklist so that i can type in my own chores instead of handwriting them? it opens in preview on my macbook and all i can do is print it, as is, blank. i’d like to type them like your personalized one b/c my handwriting is yucky. thanks!

19. Pingback: 31 Days Of Homemaking Day 8 | Frugal Family Home

20. Pingback: Introducing My Insane Goals For 2013 {link-up} | Simply Rebekah

21. Jen says:

I love these, thank you!! I would love to be able to edit this, do you have it in a file like Excel or something that can be edited? Just thought I’d ask. :-)

22. Pingback: 100 Fantastic Free Printables (Everything from Calendars to Art Prints to Paper Dolls) | Red and Honey

23. yolanda says:

thank you!

24. Shelly says:

Thank you!

25. Pingback: Superbowl Sunday! (Let’s Get Clean in 2014!) | Beyond Mom

26. Pingback: motivate your monday! | seeminglyrandom

27. Leandra says:

I’d also love an editable file. I’ve been wanting to print this list for awhile but am nervous about handwriting everything in… I know I’d mess up and want to start over. Thank you for all the tips!

28. Natalie says:

I would love an editable file as well! This seems to be quite popular :) It is a great cleaning list template!

29. Kelli says:

I love this! Can I have the editable file as well? Thanks in advance!

30. Janet Lowry says:

Hi, I love the master checklist and want to use it to teach my teenage daughter how to clean and keep it organized so your housecleaning doesn’t become so overwhelming. Do you have an editable copy that I could type the tasks in. I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

31. Ashley says:

This looks great! Any chance of sending the editable spreadsheet my way, too? Thanks for putting such an awesome tool together!