Confession: I always throw away the heel of my store bought bread. I know that is 100% wasteful and sad since there are many people in this world that would love to eat it.
I asked on my Facebook page: Do you eat the heel? What do you do with it?
They shared some fantastic ideas that I’m excited to try.
12 Ways to Use the Heel from a Loaf of Bread:
1. Use one heel and one regular slice with the heel turned inward to make a sandwich. Mind over matter! – Emily R.
2. Toast it, put nutella on it, and drink it with a glass of milk. – Emily R.
3. Soak up bacon grease from the pan – not to eat just for easier clean up. – Camie H. You can also use it to soak up grease after browning hamburger. Tilt the pan to drain as much grease as possible. Then press the crust side of the heal into the hamburger to soak up the rest. Use the crust side to prevent crumbs from getting into the meat. – Carrie K.
4. Make bread crumbs. Here is Audra’s technique for making bread crumbs:
- Stick heels in the refrigerator or freezer until you have 6 – 10.
- Lay heels on a cookie sheet in a 250* oven for 2 hours. Turn off the heat and let the bread sit until completely dry.
- Break bread into chunks and stick in food processor.
- Pulse until bread becomes crumbs.
5. Feed them to the birds, dog, or chickens. – Kristen B.
6. Dry it out, put it in the freezer, and make crock pot stuffing with it at thanksgiving. – Rachel D.
7. Make croutons. (Here Andrea shares her crouton recipe.)
8. Save the heels until you have enough to make a french toast casserole. It makes it less ‘mushy’ if you use heels. – Julie M. OR… Make regular french toast. It tastes the same and even holds up better than regular slices. – Ann K.
9. Save them in the freezer until you have enough to make a batch of bread pudding. – Martin R. (Here Donna shares her recipe for super fast bread pudding.)
10. Toast it and put butter and cinnamon sugar on it. – Audra G.
11. They are good for holey eggs. – David F.
12. Put it in with your brown sugar to keep it soft. – Andrea G.
Thank you to everyone who contributed their great ideas for this post! Don’t forget to like Simply Rebekah on Facebook to join in on conversations just like this one.
So how about you? What is your favorite thing to do with the heel?