This chocolaty Chex party mix is a-ma-zing. It looks like it is covered in ordinary chocolate, but the secret ingredient is butterscotch chips.
I can’t stress enough how crazy-good this stuff is. I will forever be in debt to my good friend Lisa for introducing me to this addictive party mix.
Heavenly Chocolate Butterscotch Chex Mix
- 2 cups M&Ms
- 2 cups peanuts
- 4 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 2 cup pretzels (optional)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
1. Measure all the M&Ms, peanuts, cereal, and pretzels into a large bowl. If you are adding pretzels then use a little less of everything else. TIP: Add the Chex cereal last in the bowl. That way it won’t get crushed and broken in the bottom of the bowl after you add the chocolate and start mixing.
2. Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in the microwave or in a double boiler on the stove. If you don’t have a double boiler you can “make” one by using 1 big pot and 1 smaller one. TIP: You don’t let the water boil or it will scorch the chocolate.
3. Pour the melted chocolate & butterscotch over the cereal and other ingredients. Stir gently until everything is covered.
4. Spread the chocolate covered mixture onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper or parchment paper. Put the cookie sheet in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate has hardened.
5. Break the party mix into small pieces. Store it in an air tight container or freezer bag.
TIP: This recipe makes enough to fill 1 gallon freezer bag and it freezes very well. If you are going to the effort to dirty the dishes for this, go ahead and make two batches (you know you’ll eat it all anyway). However, it is really hard to stir all those ingredients even if you have a bowl that is big enough. So save yourself the hassle and mix the batches one at a time.
You’re welcome and I’m sorry for introducing you to this addictive, heavenly chocolate butterscotch Chex party mix!