The following DIY tutorial and giveaway was written by DB Landes from The Creative Recycler. Enjoy!
If you were to come into my house and move any piece of furniture let me tell you what you would find: crunched up snacks, dust, my daughter’s hair ties, a block, a matchbox car, and broken crayons.
A year ago I would have just thrown those broken crayons out. Not anymore. I melt them down and make new crayons… Race Car Crayons!
How to make your own Upcycled Crayons:
- Broken Crayons
- A Straight Pin or Tack
- Cleaned Empty Can
- Old Utensil or Spatula
- Old Sauce Pot
- Ice Cube Tray or Jello Mold
- Oven Mitt (for holding the hot can)
1. Fill sauce pot 1/4 full of water and heat on medium heat. This will act like a double boiler so your wax does not burn.
2. Remove paper from crayons. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is is to use a straight pin or tack to cut through the paper. Then you simply peel it off.
3. Sort crayons by like colors. For example: Blue, green, and yellow make green. Red, pink, and white make pink. Orange, yellow, red-orange, and peach make orange. Pink, purple, a small amount of red, and blue make purple. The picture below shows a bag of reds. The picture of the can shows an orange mix.
4. Break crayons into small pieces and put them in the can. You can fill the can to the top with crayons.
4. Place the can in the boiling water. It acts as a double boiler and the crayons will melt in the can. Stir frequently with the old utensil or spatula.
5. When the crayons have sufficiently liquefied pour the wax into your mold. Use an oven mitt, the can will be hot. Pour the wax into either an ice cube tray or Jello mold. I used a NASCAR Jello mold that I picked up at our local Hospice thrift store.
6. Wait until wax has cooled. Pop out the crayons and color!
How would you like to have your own set of race car crayons?
Here’s your chance to win a set of 8 crayons in red, blue, yellow, green, orange, pink, purple, and grey made by The Creative Recycler: ReThinking Trash on Etsy. Enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter form below. Can’t see the form? Click over to Simply Rebekah to enter the giveaway.
DB Landes blogs about recycling, upcycling, and being green at The Creative Recycler and sells upcycled crafts on her Etsy store, ReThinking Trash. She lives without a microwave with her husband, three children, and five chickens. She enjoys anything upcycled, recycled or unexpectedly clever.
Disclosure: One winner will be chosen by random & notified by email after this giveaway closes. Giveaway is open to the USA and Canada only. This post was written by DB Landes. All opinions and images are her own. I was not compensated in any way for this post or giveaway. If you enjoy reading silly fine print like this then be sure to check out my full disclosure policy.