This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade chicken fried rice isn’t nearly as difficult as I imagined it would be. It comes together easily and is a great way to sneak some veggies into your diet. This recipe is so simple that it has even made it onto my fast & easy vacation meal plan.
This recipe is super forgiving. It can easily be made with more or less chicken, rice, vegetables, or eggs. Just use what you have on hand.
Homemade Chicken Fried Rice
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil (or your oil of choice, but I like the slight coconut flavor in this dish)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 1/2 cups frozen mixed veggies (I use a carrot, corn, pea, & green bean blend.)
- 2-3 eggs, beaten
1. Start the rice if you don’t have it cooked already. You’ll get approximately 4 cups cooked rice from 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice.
2. Cut the chicken into small pieces, smaller than bite sized. You could also use leftover cooked chicken.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Then add the chicken, garlic, and onion. Fry until the chicken is cooked and the onions are soft.
4. Add the salt, pepper, sugar, and soy sauce. Stir well.
5. Add the cooked rice and fry for several minutes.
6. Add frozen vegetables. Stir and cover. Fry until the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
7. Pour beaten eggs over the rice. Mix throughout the rice by stirring until cooked. Serve immediately.
This recipe was adapted from the More with Less Cookbook, which is my all time favorite cookbook.
Do you make your own chicken fried rice at home?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Simply Rebekah!