There is nothing fun about cleaning out a closet. That is why purging & reorganizing the master bedroom on my Insane List of Goals has been only half done for almost a year. I tackled the actual room months ago, but I put off doing my closet.
Today was the day I was meant to do it. First I read Permission to Get Rid of Stuff by Kinda Crunchy Kate and I could completely relate to her struggle to get rid of things. My frugal and green side make it nearly impossble for me to part with things.
Then I read Top 10 Things I Can Accomplish to Reduce my Stress in November by Hey Donna. That pushed me over the edge. I was officially inspired to stop reading and start doing. Upstairs I went…
I made three piles:
- Things to Trash
- Things to Donate
- Things to Store
Take a look at that top picture again. When shoes have this much dust on them that you can draw a smiling face, you know it is time to let go. I just couldn’t and I didn’t. I bought those shoes in France and love them (even though I clearly don’t wear them). That is why I created the storage box. I filled that box with clothes I bought in other countries, the red vintage winter coat that will never fit around this pregnant belly, and the t-shirt I got from my sister’s college on little-sibs weekend eons ago.
The entire project took me about 1.5 hours (and that was with a little one needing attention along the way). Here are some of the thoughts, discoveries, and accomplishments I had throughout the process:
- It was super hard, but I got rid of several items that are outdated. I’m not much of a fashionista (someone please help me!), but even I knew it was time to let these things go.
- I found a bag of purses. Many of the purses still had things in them. The most embarrassing thing I found were crackers in a purse that also had a movie stub from 2006. Ick! The most amazing things I found were a $39 gift card to Old Navy and a love letter written by my husband before we got married. It was like I was being paid in money and love to clean!
- I’m finally letting go of my jazz tennis shoes. If you are a size six, make me an offer!
- Does anyone else have the problem of deodorant leaving sparkles on their shirts???
- I have a strong desire to only wear and own clothing that I love. Being frugal makes that kind of hard when I tend to be drawn to sales racks and hate to spend money on clothes. Somebody please come fix me.
And because everyone enjoys seeing pictures of other people’s junk…. Before & After Photos!
The Top Before:
The Top After:
The Bottom Before (Despite Grace’s facial expression, I did not force her to sit there!):
The Bottom After:
What is your relationship with the clothes in your closet? Do you hang onto things forever or do a regular purging? Share tips below!