I would love to be 100% green in all the things I do, but that simply isn’t realistic for me. To celebrate the “soggy” in me (vs. the crunchy/green part of me), I’m sharing 20 green things that I don’t do. You can read #1-10 here.
20 Green Things I Don’t Do (#11-20)
- Use a Clothes Line – I want to use a clothes line. I really do! Sadly, this house didn’t have one when we moved in and installing one just hasn’t happened yet. Someone please come to my house and install one of those cool pulley system lines off my deck!
- Ban Plastic Toys – Plastics can be kind of scary. Some toy companies will guarantee you that their products are BPA free. Others won’t. I would love if all of Grace’s toys would be made out of wood with nontoxic paint, but that isn’t very realistic for us. Instead I’ve made certain things a priority (like play food that will certainly go in her mouth) and other things I’ve been more laid back about.
- Cloth Diaper – I’ve already written about my 5 excuses and 1 true reason for not using cloth diapers.
- Family Cloth – Some families who love to cloth diaper have taken it one step further by using cloth toilet paper. My mother has threatened to write me out of her will if I ever take that step. I’d like to stay in the will.
- Recycle All Plastic – I hate to do it, but sometimes I throw away plastic containers. My area only recycles a couple kinds of plastics, so that means that the rest usually get trashed.
- Have a Paperless Kitchen – I would love to go completely paperless in my kitchen. We already made the switch to cloth napkins, but those pesky paper towels keep showing up! The truth is that my husband has a special place in his heart for paper towels. I keep trying to change his mind, but I’d rather he help clean the kitchen with paper towels than not help at all!
- Shop at Thrift Stores – I’ve definitely shopped in 2nd hand stores. However, when it comes to buying my clothes these days, I just don’t have the desire. My shopping time is limited, so I don’t want to search through racks and racks. Plus I tend to buy things that are just ok and not always stuff that I love. This fashion struggling mama needs to step it up a notch and quit buying things just because they are cheap!
- Eat 100% Local and/or Seasonal – Bananas don’t grow in my backyard year round. Or ever. They still make it on the shopping list!
- Recycle “Gray” Water – In the summer I try to utilize the water from my daughter’s baby pool and dehumidifier, but we don’t have one of those fancy water-saver-things that collects your bathroom sink water to use in the toilet.
- Diva Cup/Keeper – If you don’t know what this is, then you’ll have to look it up yourself. I don’t have the guts to explain it here. 🙂
Now that I’ve spilled my guts about all the green things that I don’t do, I expect all my green readers to go running for the hills and all my regular readers to follow since I mentioned the words “diva cup!”
Are you running for the hills or do you feel relief from any I’m-not-green-enough guilt?
This post is being linked to Your Green Resource.