(While I’m snuggling my newborn, I’m delighted to share this guest post by Audra from Rediscovering Domesticity.)
It’s baby time around Simply Rebekah! I recently gave birth to my third – an unintentionally natural birth. Since this birth experience was much more intense than my last two epidural births, I got to thinking about what was and wasn’t helpful to hear while laboring.
Thanks to my facebook friends, I bring you:
The top 10 least helpful things to say to a woman in labor!
10. “But honey, the ball game is on!”
9. “It’s not really pain you’re feeling. That’s just pressure.”
8. “Can you please not scream so loudly? You are frightening the other patients.”
7. “Oh my – this chair is REALLY uncomfortable!”
6. “Why are you screaming? The monitor said that that last contraction wasn’t all that bad. Oh – wow! Now THAT contraction was off the charts!”
5. “It looks like the head is HUGE!”
4. “You’ll really regret not getting that epidural!”
3. “You know that name we agreed on? Let’s rethink that.”
2. While getting an epidural, “Don’t breathe – it’ll make the needle slip!”
1. “I know you’re 10cm, but try not to push. The doctor is finishing a c-section right now.”
And… one bonus one!
“Try not to push. The doctor isn’t here yet. I COULD deliver the baby, but it makes for a lot of paperwork that I’d rather not do.”
Ok – one MORE bonus one!
When I gave birth to my first child there was a woman in the next labor room who was screaming and swearing in Spanish at the top of her lungs. I asked the nurse what was wrong with the woman and the nurse told me “nothing wrong, she’s just about an hour ahead of you in labor”. I was so frightened of what was going to come in the next hour that I tried to get up and go home!!
Did you have anyone say anything particularly unhelpful while you were giving birth?
Audra blogs at Rediscovering Domesticity where she inspires moms to THRIVE. There’s no one way to do life, so let’s work together to reach across those parenting fences and lift each other up! You can find Audra writing about faith, parenting, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, green living, marriage, carseat safety, and blogging. Be on the lookout for some awesome giveaways and featured products as well!
This is being linked to Top Ten Tuesday with Many Little Blessings.