Last year I made Grace an adorable (but cheap and easy!) popcorn Halloween costume. I literally threw this together spur of the moment during nap time.
- white paper
- red paper
- glue or tape
- red & black marker
- hot glue gun
- needle & thread
First of all, there are so many different ways you could make this. I used paper and markers, but you could just as easily use paint. Get creative with the supplies that you have on hand.
1. Cut 2 rectangles out of cardboard. The size needed will depend on the size of the person wearing the Halloween costume.
2. Cut a scalloped edge along the top of both rectangles.
3. Make the front side of each rectangle white. You could paint them or glue white paper onto the cardboard. I used paper.
4. Use a red marker or paint to create red stripes down the white cardboard.
5. Cut the letters POPCORN out of red paper. I did this free hand. I didn’t think the red letters stood out enough, so I used a black marker along the outside edge of each letter.
6. Glue or tape the letters onto one of the cardboard pieces. This will be the front of your sandwich board costume.
7. Use a hot glue gun to attach popcorn along the top scalloped edge.
8. Use a hot glue gun and ribbon to attach the front and back of the sandwich board. The length and placement of the ribbon depends on the size of the person wearing the costume. I waited to do this until Grace was awake. I wanted to be sure I made the ribbon long enough that I could slip the sandwich board over her head.
9. Create a popcorn halo by threading the popcorn with a needle and thread like you would to make garland for a Christmas tree. Tie the two ends together to form a circle.
If you make this Halloween costume, I would love to see a picture of it! You can post it on my Facebook page.
Do you usually make or buy Halloween costumes? What are your favorite DIY cheap and easy Halloween costume ideas?