“Who’s cell phone is plugged in over here? What’s going on, Rebekah? Are you charging your phone here so you don’t have to use your electricity at home?”
I was having supper at my in-law’s house and I needed to charge my phone while I was there. I was heading out for the evening straight from their house and I wanted to be sure my cell phone wouldn’t die on me.
My in-laws love to tease me and didn’t miss the opportunity to make fun of me for mooching off of them so I could save money on my own electric bill. Their joke got me thinking though. There are tons of ways to save money by mooching off your in-laws!
14 Ways to Save Money by Mooching Off Your In-Laws
1. Always charge your phone, laptop, other devices while at their house.
2. Make sure to use the bathroom before you go home to save on water and toilet paper expenses. Bonus points are earned if you go #2 (since that usually takes more toilet paper).
3. Stop by over meal times whenever possible. Family doesn’t let family go hungry, so they are likely to offer to feed you. You’ll save on your grocery budget and get out of cooking!
4. Never say no to taking home leftovers. In fact, bring your own containers so you can passive aggressively ask for leftovers.
5. Put way more food on your plate (or your kids’ plates) than you can actually eat. Then you have an excuse to take the food with you so you don’t “waste it.”
6. If you are given a menu choice (like perhaps for your birthday or another special occasion), always pick something expensive that you are too cheap to ever make at home.
7. Sneak extra tissues into your pockets when no one is looking. When you get home, carefully fold them and place them next to your own tissue box. You can also do this with toilet paper.
8. If you ever swap vehicles with your in-laws (perhaps so you don’t have to move carseats) make sure that your own car’s gas tank is almost empty so they have to fill the tank for you. Plus be sure to do a ton of errands while you have their car so you can use up their gas.
9. Visit your in-laws on the coldest and hottest days of the year so you can save money on heating and cooling in your house while you are away.
10. Pretend your kids asked for a snack. Say, “What’s that Timmy? You are hungry? Let’s ask Grandma for a snack.” Then eat half of it yourself or sneak it into the diaper bag for later.
11. Pretend that your washer and dryer are busted so you have to use theirs. Forget to bring laundry detergent with you so you have to use their detergent. You get bonus points for guilting them into letting you drop it off so they will do it for you.
12. Anytime they get a new movie from Netflix, go on and on about how much you’ve been wanting to see that movie so they end up letting you borrow it. You’ll get the perks of having Netflix without actually paying for it!
13. Never buy any special appliances, kitchen gadgets, or tools. Instead save your money and borrow them from your in-laws as you need them.
14. Don’t pay for a babysitter. Grandparents were invented so parents could have free babysitters!
If you follow all of these tips, you will save hundreds (possibly thousands!) of dollars each year! Of course you’ll also be at risk for damaging your relationship with your in-laws, but you will have to weigh the pros and cons of that.
Note: This post is obviously meant to be a joke. My in-laws truly did tease me about charging my cellphone, but that is the only truth to this post. Don’t be a cheap jerk. Unless your in-laws really will do your laundry for you. *wink*
Did I miss any ways that you can save money by mooching off of our in-laws? Which of these ideas have you already tried?