This post contains affiliate links.
Inspired by this week’s Sorta Awesome podcast episode, I’m sharing my top 5 picks for fall. On Sorta Awesome, Megan and I share our top tips, but here are 5 more for you! I’m covering my favorite pumpkin desserts, a product that saved my marriage, how I’m filling my freezer, and a Netflix binge that won my heart.
My Top 5 Picks for Fall
1. I’m slowly filling my freezer by batch freezer cooking. Since September, I have been putting one thing on my meal plan each week that can be doubled. One batch we will eat that night and then second batch will go in the freezer. I’ve done big freezer cooking days before (read: first attempt and second attempt) and I even have 10 tips for a successful freezer cooking day. I believe in the method, but batch freezer cooking has won my heart. The fall is the perfect time to start batch cooking in preparation for the busy holiday season.
2. Better Than Pumpkin Pie Cake truly is better than pumpkin pie! I was on the look out for a show stopping dessert to bring to Thanksgiving dinner one year and Amy from AmysFinerThings.com suggested her Better Than Pumpkin Pie Cake. It did not disappoint! It calls for chopped nuts and I added them to only half of my cake for those who aren’t nut fans. The nut version and nut free version where both amazing.
3. Speaking of pumpkin pie… Run to your nearest Dairy Queen for a Pumpkin Pie Blizzard. I’m so totally serious. Run there right now! I love the pumpkin pie blizzards so much that I made it my “Awesome of the Week” on Sorta Awesome’s episode 29. The pumpkin pie blizzard is a mixture of vanilla ice cream, pumpkin, and sugar cookie chunks. All of it is topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Heavenly!
4. Looking for your next Netflix binge? Gossip Girl to the Rescue! Snuggle up on the couch with your pumpkin pie DQ blizzard or a hot drink and get lost in the world of rich teenagers living on the Upper East Side of New York City. I started watching Gossip Girl after the article What You Should Binge Watch on Netflix According to Your Myers Briggs Type suggested it was a good fit for my ESFP personality type. To hear me gush about the show, listen to Sorta Awesome’s episode 28.
This recommendation comes with a couple of warnings:
- The show’s cliff-hangers and fast-paced, dramatic style makes it extremely addictive. There are 120 episodes, which is a huge time commitment. This is a binge for those who are in for the long haul!
- Do NOT Google anything about the show. The show isn’t in production anymore, which means that spoilers can be found around every corner. Be careful.
- This show is about lies, manipulation, love, lust, gossip, and betrayals. I would consider it a risque PG-13 show. It isn’t filthy, but it isn’t Little House on the Prairie. You’ve been warned.
5. The HoMedics Sound Spa may have saved my marriage. Nate grew up in the city and used a fan in his room year round to drown out the city noise. I grew up in the country and slept in perfect silence. I don’t mind using a fan or our window air conditioner to create some white noise when it is hot outside, but every fall as the weather turns colder we transition to using our HoMedics Sound Spa. I couldn’t tolerate the cold air circulating throughout the room, so this was a great compromise. We are a happier couple because of it!
Bonus Fall Picks!
Want more fall picks? Listen to this week’s Sorta Awesome podcast where Megan and I share 10 more ways to make fall awesome. *Spoiler Alert* Here is a sneak peek of 3 of my picks that I share on the podcast.
- Taco Soup – freezer friendly and delish!
- Thankful Tree – a fun way to celebrate thankfulness every day in November
- Amazingly Moist Turkey – this recipe and cooking method will transform your Thanksgiving!
What are your top picks for fall?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for supporting Simply Rebekah!