My husband surprised me with an iPhone. I was shocked and excited, but that soon turned into….
I felt really uncomfortable. I write a blog about living a frugal lifestyle! How can I own an iPhone!?!?!
What about our school loans or medical bills from Noah’s birth? There are many things that $200 could go towards. Heating oil. Grace’s birthday. Christmas. The list could go on and on.
My husband chose to bless me with a gift he knew I would enjoy and instead I had an awful frugal freak out moment. Nate really had to talk me down off the ledge.
“Rebekah, you are right. There are lots of things we could have spent this $200 on instead, but it is only $200. It isn’t $2,000. That $200 would not have solved all of our finacial concerns. Plus, we don’t spend money on ourselves. We can treat ourselves.”
He is so right.
I almost never spend money on myself:
- I get my hair cut about 3 times a year and never color it.
- I only buy clothes when I have a gift card.
- I haven’t bought any new clothes since having Noah because I don’t want to waste money on a post-pregnancy body. My wardrobe is really pathetic these days.
- We only go to the movies with gift cards and get all our DVD rentals from the library.
- Sit down restaurants only happen with gift cards.
- If there is something fun (or even useful) that I want, it usually goes on the Christmas list before I actually buy it myself.
- I’ve had a cell phone for 8 years and I’ve only upgraded once. ONCE! My last phone was so old it didn’t even take pictures.
Nate’s iPhone splurge made me uncomfortable and that is pretty sad. After looking at that list above, it is also pretty unnecessary!
Instead of being such a stick-in-the-mud, I am choosing to enjoy my new phone. Here are 5 ways that I’m enjoying my new iPhone:
- It takes better pictures and videos than my digital camera!
- I’m able to connect with readers easier through Facebook and Twitter.
- I joined Instagram and love it! Search “Simply Rebekah” and look me up.
- I’ve been playing Draw Something with my niece & nephew. Family bonding is always a good thing.
- There are so many awesome FREE apps out there.
The bottom line is this: My husband wanted to give me something he knew I would love. I took that gift and threw it back in his face because I am too frugal to ever spend any money on myself. Not good, folks. Don’t be like me.
This post is being linked to Frugal Friday with Life As Mom.