Today’s guest post and giveaway comes from my real life friend, Sarah. Sarah runs an amazing home decor blog called Church Street Designs. She has a knack for decorating that I simply do not have. Sarah also sells hand painted signs in her Church Street Designs etsy shop. It is a privilege to have her share some of her Christmas decorating secrets. Plus she is giving away one of her beautiful signs. Lucky you!
5 Easy Christmas Decorating Tips
We all want a touch of “magic” when it comes to decorating our house for Christmas. We all page through the Better Homes and Gardens magazines or scroll through countless blogs of perfect, spotless, toddler-less houses decorated for Christmas, but sometimes instead of becoming inspired we become discouraged. The Martha Stewart touch on absolutely everything becomes overwhelming and all of a sudden we are, at best, dissatisfied and at worst, depressed. So, today I am here to give you a few tips and tricks on how to create a beautiful house for Christmas, without taking out a loan.
1. Less is More – Sometimes people think that they need to load up every nook and cranny of their house with Christmasy items in order for it to look festive. I say that less is more. Instead of lots of little things, create a few larger statement pieces.
2. Theme – I cannot stress this enough. A theme not only gives you structure and a place to start, but it gives the allowance to try new things and the permission to not use EVERY CHRISTMAS ITEM you have in storage. A theme can be as simple as a color or item, or as complex as a style or feel. But, if you remember nothing else from this post remember this; you need a theme.
3. Wrapping Paper – An easy way to keep your decorating simple and cohesive is to have the wrapping paper compliment your theme. I know, sounds a little over the top, but actually its pretty easy. This year I purchased a HUGE roll of brown paper at Lowes. It’s suppose to be a floor covering for painters, but I am going to use it to wrap my gifts! Tie the gifts with white string or colored ribbon and ta-da, you have an instant Country French touch! Another easy gift wrap idea for smaller gifts is song sheets (especially Christmas Carols).
4. White Candles – You might be asking, how is this a tip? Christmas should be Merry and BRIGHT, and no matter what your theme is, white candles will create that warm, perfect touch that everyone is looking for. Try tying a jute string, burlap or colored ribbon around the candle for an added flair. A cluster of candles of varying heights can create a simple yet stunning centerpiece or mantle display. Grab a bag of tea lights at the dollar store and a few glass votives and get lighting.
5. Use What You’ve Got – We often think that beautiful means expensive. NOT SO. So many treasures lay around our house that can be re-purposed or displayed in a different light. Here are a few decorating ideas you can create with items that you may have laying around your house.
- Fill a large glass vase with Christmas bulbs for a centerpiece.
- Tie String on bulbs and hang in clusters of 3 or 5 from windows.
- Tie bulbs on a long string and hang as a garland along mantle.
- Cut branches and arrange on table for simple centerpiece.
- Clip a few short evergreen branches and place in the bottom of mason jars, add white votive candles.
OLD BOOKS/MUSIC SHEETS:
- Clip sheets of Christmas Carols on a long string to create a garland.
- Cover the flyleaf of books with a sheet of paper, write your favorite Christmas Titles on the spine and stack in various heights on a mantle.
GLASS JARS/CANDLE HOLDERS:
- Tie a jute string around the mouth of the jar. Fill jars with water and float cranberries and a tea light on top.
- Place white candles in various kinds of glass candle holders and display in a cluster.
- Tie a wire around the mouth of a jar, pour 2 inches of sand/kitty litter in the bottom and add a white votive candle. This becomes a lantern you can use inside or outside. (pictured above)
There are so many wonderful, inexpensive ways to make your house beautiful and inviting for the holiday season. I hope I gave you a few Christmas decorating tips you can use and inspired you to create something beautiful. Have a very blessed Christmas Season!
Would you like to improve your Christmas decorating this year with a hand painted sign from Church Street Designs? Sarah is giving away her Joy to the World sign to one lucky reader. Use the rafflecopter form below to enter the giveaway. Can’t see the form in your email? Click over to Simply Rebekah.
Everyone can receive 15% off their order from Church Street Designs with the promo code 15OFF until January 4, 2014.
- The sign measures approx 11″ x 24″ and is completely hand painted.
- The background color is white with distressed edges and face.
- The lettering is Dark Red and Gray
- The sign is solid wood
- Each sign comes with attached hardware for easy hanging.
- Because of the material and the hand painted nature of the sign, no two signs will be exactly the same.
Disclosure: This giveaway was sponsored by Church Street Designs. I was not compensated in any way. All photos are by Church Street Designs. Giveaway is open to the USA only. The winner will be contacted by email after the giveaway closes.