*** This giveaway is now closed. ***
It seems like coconut oil is the new rage. At least among the blogs that I read it is! It is super natural and better for you than regular oil. I was thrilled when I won a giveaway (Thanks, Donna!) for a HUGE jar of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions.
Now I had a ton of coconut oil. So what do I do with it?
6 Different Ways I Have Used Coconut Oil:
1) Bake – I have discovered that brownies and muffins made with coconut oil are instantly a-ma-zing! Remember these awesome whole wheat chocolate zucchini muffins I told you about? These are to die for with coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.
2) Cook – I hate to admit this, but cooking with coconut oil didn’t really sound that appealing to me. A brownie that taste a little like coconut sounds awesome! My chicken? Well… maybe not so much. Guess what. I was wrong. I made chicken fried rice with the coconut oil and I can’t imagine making it any other way now. Soooo good. For an insanely long list of recipes using coconut oil, visit Tropical Tradition’s Coconut Recipes.
3) Popcorn – The only way I make popcorn is on the stove. I used to use olive oil. That was good, but coconut oil is so much better. I’m drooling thinking about it. I need to try coconut oil in my homemade kettle corn!
I know what you’re thinking. “But… but… I don’t like coconut.” Honestly, it doesn’t matter. My husband is not a coconut fan. He loves the muffins. He can’t get enough of the fried rice. I admitted that there was coconut oil used in both and he promises me that he still loves both dishes. (He doesn’t like popcorn no matter how I make it. Silly man.)
If my husband’s testimony isn’t cutting it for you then maybe one of these non-food ways of using coconut oil will spark your interest.
4) Frizz Control – I went to the beach this summer. Every single time I go I’m amazed at how much my wavy hair hates being at the beach. This year I combated the frizz with coconut oil. Start at the ends of your hair and work up from there. It worked like a charm.
5) Lip Gloss – I lost my favorite chapstick. I used coconut oil instead. It made me happy. 😀 If you don’t like the taste of coconut then you might feel less happy.
6) Homemade Deodorant – I have been wanting to try this for a long time. Thanks to this gigantic jar of coconut oil from Tropical Traditions, I could finally test this out! The recipe was very simple:
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
I mixed the ingredients together and put it in an empty deodorant container. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll be sure to provide updates with my thoughts.
Tropical Traditions has offered to give one lucky reader their own 32oz. jar of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil! To enter leave me a comment telling me how you plan to use your coconut oil if you win.
You may have up to two more entries in the random drawing if you:
- Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter or like them on Facebook and leave me a separate comment telling me which one you are doing.
- Subscribe to Simply Rebekah via email or RSS and leave me a separate comment telling me how you subscribe. If you already subscribe, you can leave that in a comment also.
Disclosure: One winner will be chosen by random & notified by email after this giveaway closes on October 11, 2011 at 11:59 PM. Giveaway is open to USA & Canada only. If the winner is from Canada, they will be responsible for any customs or duties that Canada may charge. I received my free sample of coconut oil by winning a giveaway. I was under no obligation to review it. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. All opinions are my own. If you enjoy reading silly fine print like this then be sure to check out my full disclosure policy.
I am linking this post to Your Green Resource, a great place for giving & taking green tips every Thursday.