When I placed my first order with Olive and June, I thought to myself, “This will either be a complete waste of money or this will be a miracle product.” It would have to be a miracle to convert me into someone who paints her nails.
Before Olive and June, I never painted my nails. I have never had a salon manicure, and I didn’t even wear nail polish for my wedding!
Now more than a year into using Olive and June, I can confidently report that it is in fact a miracle product. If I can become someone who paints their nails with confidence, anyone can.
This post contains affiliate links.
What is Olive and June?
Olive and June is a woman owned company designed to help women create salon worthy manicures at home. The Olive & June mani system has everything you need to achieve the perfect home manicure.
Olive & June also sells press ons, skin hydration products, nail art tools, and a pedicure system. Plus, there are over 100 nail polish colors to pick from, and the selection keeps growing.
UPDATE: Since originally publishing this post, Olive & June has released their quick dry nail polish formula. It dries in just 1-2 minutes. You can be done with a mani in less than 10 minutes! For a full explanation and review of the quick dry formula, watch this highlight on my Instagram profile.
What comes with the Olive & June mani system?
The Olive & June mani system has everything you need to achieve the perfect home manicure. Each system includes:
- nail file
- nail clippers
- clean up brush
- poppy – designed to help keep your hand steady while painting
- nail polish remover pot
- super glossy top coat
- cuticle serum – for ultimate hydration
- travel bag
All of that comes in an attractive box with magnetic closures that can be used for storage.
Plus, each system comes with either 1 polish color or 6 polish colors. I highly recommend making the additional investment to get 6 colors right away.
Don’t know what colors to pick? I’ve come up with the perfect formula to help you pick out your first Olive & June colors. You can also take this quiz to discover shades recommended by Olive & June.
To watch a full unboxing of an Olive & June mani system, along with other helpful videos, watch this highlight on my Instagram profile.
I placed my first order with Olive & June in April 2021, and was excited, but also nervous. On one hand I could count how many times I had painted my fingernails in the last 15 years.
I truly was clueless about nail prep, how to file my nails, and the best way to apply polish. Thankfully, Olive & June’s instructional videos were very helpful, and the system came with everything I needed.
In the picture above, you can see my very first manicure with Olive & June, and the progressed I made with several months of doing weekly manicures at home. Honestly, I am still shocked at how much better my nails look. If that isn’t an Olive and June review worthy photo, I don’t know what is.
What I Learned
First, I learned the literal steps to take for painting a beautiful and long lasting manicure. Olive and June’s Instagram profile is filled with down to earth educational demonstrations. Plus, their more recent packaging includes a QR code to take you directly to full tutorials on their website.
Some of the tips I learned from Olive and June include:
- how to accomplish a nail shape I feel confident in
- the importance of thin, streaky coats
- how to use a clean up brush to erase my mistakes
- reapplying top coat every couple of days keeps my mani looking fresh
With the tricks I learned from Olive and June, I can have chip free nails for a week! One reason why I hardly ever painted my nails in the past is because it wasn’t worth the effort. The polish would chip so fast.
I also found that Olive and June’s polish doesn’t have a long lasting bad smell like other polishes I have tried. Another reason I didn’t like painting my nails is because the smell coming off my nails would bother me for days.
Olive & June is free from 7 common toxins found in traditional nail polish, which means I can feel better about using it. I am guessing this is why it doesn’t have the bad smell I’ve experienced with other polish.
However, the very best thing I learned while experimenting with Olive & June is how much joy painted nails brings me. Life is hard these days, and anything that brings us joy is worth celebrating.
I didn’t expect to enjoy painting my nails as much as I do. If you had told me 2 years ago that I would write an Olive and June review (let alone become an ambassador for the company!), I would have laughed in your face.
I truly enjoy planning out my next manicure, experimenting with different color combinations, and seeing what new colors Olive & June will launch next. Painting my nails has become a new hobby.
I recommend Olive and June to anyone who:
- wants to cut back on their salon budget – If you visit a salon on a regular basis, but want a cheaper option, you will 100% save money buy using Olive and June’s at home system.
- already loves painting their nails at home – If you are a fan of doing at-home manicures, you are going to love the Olive & June products and colors.
- wants to learn how to do their own nails – The mani system and education that Olive & June puts out online is incredibly helpful.
- is looking for a less toxic polish option – I don’t think Olive and June is the most natural polish brand out there, but they are free of 7 common toxins found in traditional polish. I struggle with the fumes coming off my nails with regular polish, but not with Olive & June.
- thinks polish just isn’t for them – Listen. You might surprise yourself. I sure did!
I do NOT recommend Olive and June to:
- anyone who prefers gel or acrylic nails – If you love the look and longevity of gel, dip, or acrylic nails, I suspect you’ll be disappointed in Olive and June. My Olive & June manicures usually last a solid week, but eventually they will chip, which might be frustrating to gel and acrylic fans. However, the Olive & June press-ons might be a good fit for you.
- anyone with a salon routine they love – Does going to the salon for a weekly mani bring you a lot of joy? If so, you might not want to mix it up and attempt the DIY method even if it saves you money.
In conclusion . . .
I am completely obsessed with Olive and June. Using their system has dramatically changed my nails and previously nonexistent polish routine. It has truly become one of my newest and most enjoyable hobbies.
I highly recommend trying the mani system with 6 polish colors. You can save money by ordering the system with only 1 color, but getting 6 is way more fun. Let me help you pick your first 6 colors with perfect formula.
What does your nail routine look like? Has this Olive and June review convinced you to give it a try?
Check out these other honest reviews:
- Stitch Fix: A Frugal Girl’s Honest Review
- Stitch Fix Kids: A Frugal Mom’s Honest Review
- Is Home Chef Affordable? (an honest review)
Disclosure: I am an Olive & June ambassador. This Olive and June review is not sponsored, but it does contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission from your purchase at no additional cost to you. SIMPLYREBEKAH20 discount code is for systems only, and only applies to first time customers. PARTY25 discount code applies to all orders through 11/28.